Monday, January 24, 2011

Dicey and Deuce

Everybody pushed me off that edge to swim against that current. But I was hopeful still, for she swam along. That suddenly I realized I was toiling all alone, while she became a question and eventually out of question. With fatigued limbs I could struggle no more and forfeited.
And the dream broke.
I opened my eyes into absolute darkness just to look into her tapetum lucidum and surprisingly she was staring back, as if she could see through me, read my mind and when every human refused to be humane enough , she sat there sympathizing with me in that darkness, then snuggled so close to me as if assuaging all my worries. Yes, Dicey, the cat. Her green eyes seem to acknowledge every ounce of pain that I’m going through and that wagging seem to play those lines by Coldplay- “ You just want somebody listening to what you say, It doesn’t matter who you are”

And realizing that wagging tail I drift into that rhythmic trance and sleep again.

Then I wake up to that smell of morning glory, and rush downstairs for he waits for me every morning. Deuce, the dog, greets me complainingly because Dicey was privileged to sleep with me and he had to stay away all the while because, of course he couldn’t have intruded her territory. He makes those uncanny noises to vent out his exasperation. But soon he gets over with that woofing and arfing and gestures me to play with him, rolling on the floor and wagging. I scratch his belly and he bares his teeth to give me that wide grin, and I’d confess I haven’t seen a dog smiling like him. He looks like a perfect epitome of joy and love to me when everything else has faded.

Candidly, I’d confess Deuce makes me live through the day while Dicey sings me lullaby at night.
How does it matter if we don’t belong to the same species? Who says they are not human enough?

- The Phoenice

No comments:

Post a Comment